Some take up arms for glory, wealth, or revenge. Others do battle to prove themselves, to protect others, or because they know nothing else. Still others learn the ways of weaponcraft to hone their bodies in battle and prove their mettle in the forge of war. Lords of the battlefield, fighters are a disparate lot, training with many weapons or just one, perfecting the uses of armor, learning the fighting techniques of exotic masters, and studying the art of combat, all to shape themselves into living weapons. Far more than mere thugs, these skilled warriors reveal the true deadliness of their weapons, taming kingdoms, slaughtering monsters, and rousing the hearts of armies. Soldiers, knights, hunters, and artists of war, fighters are unparalleled champions, and woe to those who dare stand against them.
Role: Fighters excel at combat -- defeating their enemies, controlling the flow of battle, and surviving such sorties themselves. While their specific weapons and methods grant them a wide variety of tactics, few can match fighters for sheer battle prowess.
Base Attack Bonus: +1 / level.
Caster Level: +0.25 / level.
Will Save: +0.25 / level.
Fort Save: +0.75 / level.
Reflex Save: +0.50 / level.
Hit Die: d10.
|Level||Base Attack Bonus||Caster Level||Fort Save||Ref Save||Will Save||Special|
|1st||+1||0 (0.25)||+0 (+0.75)||+0 (+0.50)||+0 (+0.25)||Tyro Signature: Adventuring Feat|
|2nd||+2||0 (0.50)||+1 (+1.50)||+1 (+1.00)||+0 (+0.50)||Bravery OR Sergeant|
|3rd||+3||0 (0.75)||+2 (+2.25)||+1 (+1.50)||+0 (+0.75)||Skilled in Combat OR Weapon Training I|
|4th||+4||1 (1.00)||+3 (+3.00)||+2 (+2.00)||+1 (+1.00)||Easy March OR Watch Duty|
|5th||+5||1 (1.25)||+3 (+3.75)||+2 (+2.50)||+1 (+1.25)||Tyro Tier Choice|
|6th||+6/+1||1 (1.50)||+4 (+4.50)||+3 (+3.00)||+1 (+1.50)||Adventurer Signature: Heroic Feat|
|7th||+7/+2||1 (1.75)||+5 (+5.25)||+3 (+3.50)||+1 (+1.75)||Merc OR Captain|
|8th||+8/+3||2 (2.00)||+6 (+6.00)||+3 (+4.00)||+2 (+2.00)||Combat Feat OR Armor Training I|
|9th||+9/+4||2 (2.25)||+6 (+6.75)||+4 (+4.50)||+2 (+2.25)||Cavalry I OR Marine|
|10th||+10/+5||2 (2.50)||+7 (+7.50)||+5 (+5.00)||+2 (+2.50)||Adventurer Tier Choice|
|11th||+11/+6/+1||2 (2.75)||+8 (+8.25)||+5 (+5.50)||+2 (+2.75)||Hero Signature: Legendary Feat|
|12th||+12/+7/+2||3 (3.00)||+9 (+9.00)||+6 (+6.00)||+3 (+3.00)||Tactician OR Quartermaster|
|13th||+13/+8/+3||3 (3.25)||+9 (+9.75)||+6 (+6.50)||+3 (+3.25)||Combat Feat OR Weapon Training II|
|14th||+14/+9/+4||3 (3.50)||+10 (+10.50)||+7 (+7.00)||+3 (+3.50)||Cavalry II OR Military Engineer|
|15th||+15/+10/+5||3 (3.75)||+11 (+11.25)||+7 (+7.50)||+3 (+3.75)||Hero Tier Choice|
|16th||+16/+11/+6/+1||4 (4.00)||+12 (+12.00)||+8 (+8.00)||+4 (+4.00)||Legend Signature: Unlimited Feat|
|17th||+17/+12/+7/+2||4 (4.25)||+12 (+12.75)||+8 (+8.50)||+4 (+4.25)||General OR Battlefield Conversion|
|18th||+18/+13/+8/+3||4 (4.50)||+13 (+13.50)||+9 (+9.00)||+4 (+4.50)||Combat Feat OR Armor Training II|
|19th||+19/+14/+9/+4||4 (4.75)||+14 (+14.25)||+9 (+9.50)||+4 (+4.75)||Siege Assault OR Terrain Advantage|
|20th||+20/+15/+10/+5||5 (5.00)||+15 (+15.00)||+10 (+10.00)||+5 (+5.00)||Legend Tier Choice|
Skill Ranks per Level: 2 + Int modifier.
Weapon and Armor Proficiencies
Select four weapon groups of your choice (see the rules for weapon groups in Weapons and Armor). You are proficient with all simple weapons in these four groups. You are proficient in martial weapons in your choice of three of these four groups, and with exotic weapons in one of the three martial groups. You are also proficient with all armor and shields, including tower shields.
Spells and Spell Casting
Spells: At fourth level, when your caster level is one, you can cast inherent spells, which are drawn from the inherent spell list presented in Spell Lists. As with all characters, you follow the general magic rules for spell slots per day, based on your caster level, which advances by 1/4 of a caster level every time you gain a fighter level.
Note that casting inherent spells is different from casting other spells. There are no specific and particular words or gestures required -- instead, you just speak from your heart, or mutter, or curse loudly, if the spell has verbal components. Just clap someone on the back, or scowl, or point, as you would do naturally in conversation, if there are somatic components. As a player, you track spell slots and game mechanics; as a character, you may not even be aware you are casting a spell. Your character might say, "Give me a sec to get over it," before casting a Walk It Off spell to regain hit points, not realizing that pacing in a circle is actually the somatic component of a spell.
Characters who cast in this way (Fighters and Rogues) are called marrowmancers by those who study magic deeply. As an marrowmancer, constitution is your spell casting ability score.
Learning new spells: When you gain a caster level, you have the option to learn two spells from the inherent spell list. Divide your fighter class level by four -- that's the highest spell level you can add to your known list (minimum 1). For example, at fighter class level 4, you can add first level intrinsic spells to your list; at fighter class level 8, you can add second level intrinsic spells.
Level 1 Fighter Tyro Tier Signature Ability: Adventuring Feat (Ex): You gain a combat feat of your choice. You can take a second tier feat of a feat tree, even if you do not have the prerequisite first tier feat of that tree.
Level 2 Fighter Tyro Tier Interaction Ability (pick one):
- Bravery (Ex): You gain a +2 morale bonus on Will saves against fear.
- Sergeant (Ex): You have a special way of motivating people, even when they are too weary to go on. As a free action, you can bark a command at an ally who has just failed a save vs the tired, fatigued, or exhausted conditions. The ally immediately gains a new save against the effect. You cannot use this ability on yourself, and you cannot use it if you yourself are tired, fatigued, or exhausted. You can use this ability once per round, a number of times per day equal to your odd (column A) constitution modifier.
Level 3 Fighter Tyro Tier Combat Ability (pick one):
- Skilled in Combat (Ex): Select one of these skills: Bluff, Break, Disable Device, Escape Artist, Intimidate, Ride, Spellcraft, Spot, Tactics, Tumble, or Use Magic Device. If it was not a class skill for you, it is now. You gain a +2 competence bonus using that skill, and you reroll the die if you roll a natural 1 with the skill.
- Weapon Training I (Ex): Pick a simple, martial, or exotic weapon. You are now proficient with it, if you were not, and you gain a +2 competence bonus on rolls to confirm critical hits with it.
Level 4 Fighter Tyro Tier Exploration Ability (pick one):
- Easy March (Ex): You can lead your team in a marching chant. Allies within 60 feet of you can hustle or force march during overland travel without ill effects for a number of hours per day equal to your odd (column A) constitution modifier.
- Watch Duty (Ex): When you are standing guard and taking no other actions, you gain a +5 competence bonus on Spot and Search checks, and a +2 competence bonus vs sleep effects.
Level 5 Fighter Tyro Tier Choice: Select a fighter Tyro Tier Interaction, Combat, or Exploration ability that you have not yet chosen, or choose a combat feat from among those for which you qualify.
Level 6 Fighter Adventurer Tier Signature Ability: Heroic Feat (Ex): You gain a combat feat of your choice. You can take a second or third tier feat of a feat tree, even if you do not have the prerequisite lower tier feat(s) of that tree.
Level 7 Fighter Adventurer Tier Interaction Ability (pick one):
- Merc (Ex): You gain a +5 competence bonus when negotiating for payment or rewards. When you enter an agreement, you always get 2/3 up front, and the balance on completion of the agreement.
- Captain (Ex): Any person agreeing to follow your orders gains a +1 morale bonus on saving throws. If they disobey an order, both you and they suffer a -1 morale penalty on saves for the rest of the day.
Level 8 Fighter Adventurer Tier Combat Ability (pick one):
- Combat Feat (Ex): You gain a combat feat for which you qualify.
- Armor Training I (Ex): Whenever you are wearing armor, you increase the armor bonus to AC by 1.
Level 9 Fighter Adventurer Tier Exploration Ability (pick one):
- Cavalry I (Ex): When looking for a mount, if you are choosing from several, you can select the one that has rolled the most hit points. You do not take an armor check penalty on Ride checks while riding a mount. You do not fall off your mount if you are unconscious (you can sleep soundly and well in the saddle). You do not need to make concentration checks due to vigorous motion while mounted. With 2-5 days of training, your mount is always considered combat trained and is proficient with Light, Medium, and Heavy Armor.
- Marine (Ex): You gain a +5 competence bonus on Swim and Profession (Sailor) checks and your armor check penalty is not doubled if you swim in metal armor. You do not need to make concentration checks due to vigorous motion on board ship. Taking standard and full-round actions while holding your breath does not reduce your remaining time by an extra round.
Level 10 Fighter Adventurer Tier Choice: Select a fighter Adventurer or Tyro Tier Interaction, Combat, or Exploration ability that you have not yet chosen, or choose a combat feat from among those for which you qualify.
Level 11 Fighter Hero Tier Signature Ability: Legendary Feat (Ex): You gain a combat feat of your choice. You can take any feat of a combat feat tree, even if you do not have the prerequisite lower tier feat(s) of that tree.
Level 12 Fighter Hero Tier Interaction Ability (pick one):
- Tactician (Sp): You can cast Tactical Formation once per day as a spell-like ability.
- Quartermaster (Ex): You gain a +5 competence bonus on Scrivening and Profession (Scribe) checks, and you are proficient with both skills. You pay half price for non-mgical gear. You know how to keep an army well-fed and equipped on a military campaign, and how to disrupt another army's supply lines. You grant up to 1,000 people on a military campaign a +5 circumstance bonus to save against non-magical disease and a +1 morale bonus on all d20 rolls.
Level 13 Fighter Hero Tier Combat Ability (pick one):
- Combat Feat (Ex): You gain a combat feat for which you qualify.
- Weapon Training II (Ex): With the same weapon you selected for Weapon Training I, you gain a additional +2 competence bonus on rolls to confirm critical hits with it, totalling +4. If any creature attacks you with the same weapon, you gain a +5 competence bonus to armor class against siuch attacks. You gain a +4 to disarm or sunder attempts when facing a foe using the same weapon. If you are using a magical version of this weapon, you do not need ot pay any xp cost to attune it (the time to attune dose not change); if you already have, you regain the xp spent.
Level 14 Fighter Hero Tier Exploration Ability (pick one):
- Cavalry II (Ex): Your trained mount takes only nonlethal damage from excess overland travel, does not automatically fail Con checks to do so, and becomes tired, not fatigued, after taking nonlethal damage from hustling or forced marches. It gains a +5 morale bonus to Jump and Swim checks while mounted. And it does not stray from wherever you leave it, fleeing danger if necessary but returning when it is safe to do so.
- Military Engineer (Ex): You are proficient with and gain Knowledge (Engineering) as a class skill. You gain 5 free ranks in the skill; if this brings you above the max number of ranks allowed in a class skill, you may distribute the excess to Profession (Architect) or related Craft skills. You can use this skill to direct the construction of pontoon bridges, earthenworks, palisades, pits, camps. seige weapons, and similar structures with a DC15 check. You can effectively contribute labor for these purposes as well, gaining a +2 competence bonus on a needed Craft or Profession roll.
Level 15 Fighter Hero Tier Choice: Select a fighter Hero, Adventurer, or Tyro Tier Interaction, Combat, or Exploration ability that you have not yet chosen, or choose a combat feat from among those for which you qualify.
Level 16 Fighter Legend Tier Signature Ability: Unlimited Feat (Ex): You gain a feat of your choice. You can take any feat in the game, even if you do not qualify for it. Some feats taken in this way will be useless if they depend on things you cannot do or do not have.
Level 17 Fighter Legend Tier Interaction Ability (pick one):
- General (Su): You gain a competence bonus on tactics skill checks equal to your fighter level. As a standard action, you may designate a number of allies equal to your fighter level as "majors," and each of your majors receives half your competence bonus on tactics checks. You can dismiss or appoint a major as a standard action. You also gain the message cantrip, using your fighter level as your caster level, if it is higher. When messaging one of your majors, the range of your message is multiplied by 10.
- Battlefield Conversion (Sp): You can cast Heart-To-Heart Chat once per day as a spell-like ability.
Level 18 Fighter Legend Tier Combat Ability (pick one):
- Combat Feat (Ex): You gain a combat feat for which you qualify.
- Armor Training II (Ex): Whenever you are wearing armor, you increase the armor bonus to AC by 2. This replaces (does not stack with) the bonus from Armor Training I
Level 19 Fighter Legend Tier Exploration Ability (pick one):
- Siege Assault (Sp): You can cast Jericho Horn once per day as a spell-like ability.
- Terrain Advantage (Sp): You can cast Terrain Insight once per day as a spell-like ability.
Level 20 Fighter Legend Tier Choice: Select a fighter Legend, Hero, Adventurer, or Tyro Tier Interaction, Combat, or Exploration ability that you have not yet chosen, or choose a combat feat from among those for which you qualify.