You are a seeker after inner knowledge, serenity, and enlightenment. You know that exploring your own nature also requires being at one with nature, requires discipline and devotion, and requires a structured state of mindfulness. But your path to transcendence is also a path to power -- whether you seek power or no, you understand that you must wield that power responsibly. Some monks embrace martial prowess, seeking to cultivate greatness in battle. Others seek to increase balance and order in the world, using natural means to teach and assist others along the path, regretting violence while understanding that it is sometimes necessary.
Role: Monks may adventure for many reasons, but all seek self-improvement and personal growth. Some strive for harmony as part of a group. Some are inwards-focused and care primarily for their own aggrandizement. All respect nature, understanding that their power derives from understanding the universe and their place in it.
Restrictions: Your abilities function best while wearing no armor or shield. You must be lawful to take the monk class. Most monks are lawful good or lawful neutral, though a few are lawful evil. A monk who stops being lawful and instead becomes neutral or chaotic loses signature abilities (those gained at levels 1, 6, 11, and 16) and cannot gain more monk levels. They retain all other benefits of the class. If you find the allowed monk equipment and lawful alignment to be restrictive, talk with your game master about your options for other classes and retraining your character.
Base Attack Bonus: +0.75 / level.
Caster Level: +0.75 / level.
Fort Save: +0.50 / level.
Reflex Save: +0.50 / level.
Will Save: +0.50 / level.
Hit Die: d8.
|Level||Base Attack Bonus||Caster Level||Fort Save||Ref Save||Will Save||Special|
|1st||+0 (+0.75)||0 (0.75)||+0 (+0.50)||+0 (+0.50)||+0 (+0.50)||Tyro Signature: Martial Artist|
|2nd||+1 (+1.50)||1 (1.50)||+1 (+1.00)||+1 (+1.00)||+1 (+1.00)||Cenobite or Eremite|
|3rd||+2 (+2.25)||2 (2.25)||+1 (+1.50)||+1 (+1.50)||+1 (+1.50)||Mantis Style or Scorpion Style|
|4th||+3 (+3.00)||3 (3.00)||+2 (+2.00)||+2 (+2.00)||+2 (+2.00)||Initiate or Disciple|
|5th||+3 (+3.75)||3 (3.75)||+2 (+2.50)||+2 (+2.50)||+2 (+2.50)||Tyro Tier Choice|
|6th||+4 (+4.50)||4 (4.50)||+3 (+3.00)||+3 (+3.00)||+3 (+3.00)||Adventurer Signature: Flurry of Blows|
|7th||+5 (+5.25)||5 (5.25)||+3 (+3.50)||+3 (+3.50)||+3 (+3.50)||Master of Spring or Master of Fall|
|8th||+6 (+6.00)||6 (6.00)||+4 (+4.00)||+4 (+4.00)||+4 (+4.00)||Snake Style or Snapping Turtle Style|
|9th||+6 (+6.75)||6 (6.75)||+4 (+4.50)||+4 (+4.50)||+4 (+4.50)||Master of the East Wind or Master of the West Wind|
|10th||+7 (+7.50)||7 (7.50)||+5 (+5.00)||+5 (+5.00)||+5 (+5.00)||Adventurer Tier Choice|
|11th||+8 (+8.25)||8 (8.25)||+5 (+5.50)||+5 (+5.50)||+5 (+5.50)||Hero Signature: Quivering Palm|
|12th||+9 (+9.00)||9 (9.00)||+6 (+6.00)||+6 (+6.00)||+6 (+6.00)||Master of Summer or Master of Winter|
|13th||+9 (+9.75)||9 (9.75)||+6 (+6.50)||+6 (+6.50)||+6 (+6.50)||Crane Style or Monkey Style|
|14th||+10 (+10.50)||10 (10.50)||+7 (+7.00)||+7 (+7.00)||+7 (+7.00)||Master of the South Wind or Master of the North Wind|
|15th||+11 (+11.25)||11 (11.25)||+7 (+7.50)||+7 (+7.50)||+7 (+7.50)||Hero Tier Choice|
|16th||+12 (+12.00)||12 (12.00)||+8 (+8.00)||+8 (+8.00)||+8 (+8.00)||Legend Signature: Refined Body|
|17th||+12 (+12.75)||12 (12.75)||+8 (+8.50)||+8 (+8.50)||+8 (+8.50)||Grand Master of the Sun or Grand Master of the Moon|
|18th||+13 (+13.50)||13 (13.50)||+9 (+9.00)||+9 (+9.00)||+9 (+9.00)||Panther Style or Tiger Style|
|19th||+14 (+14.25)||14 (14.25)||+9 (+9.50)||+9 (+9.50)||+9 (+9.50)||Grand Master of Flowers or Grand Master of Clouds|
|20th||+15 (+15.00)||15 (15.00)||+10 (+10.00)||+10 (+10.00)||+10 (+10.00)||Legend Tier Choice|
The monk's proficient skills (and the ability scores used to boost each skill) are Break (Str), Climb (Str), Escape Artist (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (nature) (Int), Perform (dance, oratory) (Cha), Profession (teacher, farmer) (Wis), Search (Int), Sense Motive (Wis), Spot (Wis), Stealth (Dex), Swim (Str), and Tumble (Dex).
Skill Ranks per Level: 2 + Int modifier.
Weapon and Armor Proficiencies
As a monk, you are proficient with all monk weapons and unarmed strikes as well as with simple spears and simple close weapons (see the rules for weapon groups in Weapons and Armor). You are not proficient with any armor or shield. Note that many of your monk weapons are modified farming tools -- a sai is like a three-prong garden tool, a singham is like a dibber, a kama is like a sickle, nunchaku are like a threshing flail. This reflects the monkish ethos: agriculture brings order to nature. Also note that a monk can choose to deal lethal or nonlethal damage with unarmed strikes, and monks can treat unarmed strikes as both natural and manufactured weapons.
Spells and Spell Casting
At second level, when your caster level is one, you can cast natural spells, which are drawn from the natural spell list presented in Spell Lists. As with all characters, you follow the general magic rules for spell slots per day, based on your caster level, which advances by three-quarters of a caster level every time you gain a monk level. As a naturalist, wisdom is your spell casting ability score.
KNOWN SPELLS LIST: Each time you gain a caster level, you learn two new spells. Because you are an naturalist, you may choose to pick spells from the natural spell list. The level of the spell cannot exceed three-quarters of your new monk level, round down (minimum 1). You may only choose spells from the Transmutation, Abjuration, Enchantment, and Divination schools. You may only choose Transmutation and Abjuration spells you can cast on yourself, and when you cast them, you can only target yourself, not any other creature or object. You may not add spells with the Polymorph descriptor to your known spells list. You may only choose to know Enchantment spells that can be cast on creatures with the animal type, and when you cast them, you can only target animals.
Level 1 Monk Tyro Tier Signature Ability: Martial Artist (Ex) You gain a bonus to Armor Class equal to your odd (column A) wisdom bonus. In addition, you gain a bonus to your armor class equal to one-quarter of your character levels (minimum one) and an equal bonus to attack rolls when using unarmed strikes and monk weapons. Your unarmed attacks inflict more damage than usual:
Table: Monk Damage Character Level Damage (Small Monk) Damage (Medium Monk) Damage (Large Monk) 1st–3rd 1d4 1d6 1d8 4th–6th 1d6 1d8 1d10 7th–9th 1d8 1d10 1d12 10th–12th 1d10 1d12 3d4 13th–15th 1d12 3d4 2d4+1d6 16th–18th 3d4 2d4+1d6 1d4+2d6 19th–20th 2d4+1d6 1d4+2d6 1d20
Note: All monk signature abilities only function if you are carrying no more than a light load, wearing no armor, and using no shield.
Level 2 Monk Tyro Tier Interaction Ability (pick one):
- Cenobite (Ex): You enjoy interacting with and ministering to others. You gain Diplomacy, Gather Info, and Heal as class skills, and you gain two free bonus ranks in each skill. (If you already have ranks in those skills, you may redistribute those ranks to other skills.)
- Eremite (Ex): You enjoy solitude, preferring nature and animals to the company of people. You gain Handle Animal, Ride, and Survival as class skills, and you gain two free bonus ranks in each skill. (If you already have ranks in those skills, you may redistribute those ranks to other skills.)
Level 3 Monk Tyro Tier Combat Ability (pick one):
- Mantis Style (Ex): You gain evasion. If you make a successful Reflex saving throw against an attack that normally deals half damage on a successful save, you instead take no damage. Evasion can be used only if you are wearing light armor or no armor. A helpless monk does not gain the benefit of evasion.
- Scorpion Style (Ex): When you use unarmed attacks, you threaten a critical hit on a 19 or 20, and your critical hit damage multiplier is x3.
Level 4 Monk Tyro Tier Exploration Ability (pick one):
- Initiate (Ex): When you are carrying no more than a light load, you gain an enhancement bonus to your land speed equal to three times your monk level, rounded down to the nearest five ft. At monk level 4, +10; at monk 5, +15; at monk 7, +20; etc.
- Disciple (Ex): When you are carrying no more than a light load, if you are within arm's reach of a wall, you can use it to slow your descent. You take damage as if the fall were shorter than it actually is. Treat these falls as if they were five feet shorter per monk level, rounded down to the nearest 10. At monk level 4, 20 feet shorter; at monk level 6, 30 feet; at monk level 8, 40 feet; etc. Also, all falling damage you take for any reason is nonlethal damage, even if you are not near a wall.
Level 5 Monk Tyro Tier Choice: Select a Monk Tyro Tier Interaction, Combat, or Exploration ability that you have not yet chosen, or choose a feat for which you qualify from among these feat Trees: Acrobat Tree, Dash Tree, Intuition Tree, Karate Tree, Predator Tree, or Wrestler Tree.
Level 6 Monk Adventurer Tier Signature Ability: Flurry of Blows (Ex): When you make a full attack using only monk weapons and unarmed attacks, you gain extra attacks based on your Base Attack Bonus (BAB). At BAB up to +5, you gain a bonus attack at your full BAB. At BAB +6 to +10, you gain a bonus attack at your full BAB and a bonus attack at -5 BAB. At BAB +11 to +15, you gain bonus attacks at full BAB, at -5 BAB, and at -10 BAB. And at BAB +16 to +19, you gain bonus attacks at full BAB, at -5 BAB, at -10 BAB, and at -15. Flurry of Blows can be combined with other feats and powers that affect full attacks (including dual weilder feats), so long as all attacks are made with unarmed strikes and monk weapons. Note: All monk signature abilities only function if you are carrying no more than a light load, wearing no armor, and using no shield.
Level 7 Monk Adventurer Tier Interaction Ability (pick one):
- Master of Spring (Ex): Once per day, you can lead yourself and others through an hour of refreshing meditation and trance. After an uninterrupted hour, those affected lose the tired and fatigued conditions, and exhaustion is reduced to tired. Those affected are cured of all nonlethal damage plus one hp of lethal damage per monk level that you possess. You can affect yourself and a number of allies equal to your odd (column A) Wisdom modifier.
- Master of Fall: You are wise beyond your years, and you are willing to offer advice to others. With a few words, you can use the Aid Another ability to grant a +3 bonus to any skill check. Also, you can cast Augury as a spell-like ability a number of times per day equal to your even (column B) Wisdom modifier.
Level 8 Monk Adventurer Tier Combat Ability (pick one):
- Snake Style (Ex): You gain a +1 dodge bonus to initiative rolls, AC, and Reflex saves when you are not wearing armor or shield nor carrying heavier than a light load.
- Snapping Turtle Style (Ex): You gain a +2 bonus to grapple checks. Once you have a foe grappled, you gain a +3 bonus on CMD when the foe tries to escape your grapple. This bonus rises to +6 when a foe tries to escape your pin. These bonuses apply only when you are wearing light or no armor and no shield, and holding nothing in your hands.
Level 9 Monk Adventurer Tier Exploration Ability (pick one):
- Master of the East Wind (Su): The wind brings you sounds that interest you. When you are out of doors or standing by an open door or window, you can hear by making Search checks based on sound within one mile with no penalty for distance, so long as the target is also out of doors or by an open door or window.
- Master of the West Wind (Sp): You are as free as the wind. For a number of minutes per day equal to your monk level, you can move normally regardless of magical effects that impede movement, as if you were affected by a Freedom of Movement spell. You can activate this ability as a free action as soon as it applies, if you wish. These minutes do not need to be consecutive, but they are expended in one-minute increments. This ability only functions when you are not wearing armor or shield nor carrying heavier than a light load
Level 10 Monk Adventurer Tier Choice: Select a Monk Tyro Tier Interaction, Combat, or Exploration ability that you have not yet chosen, or choose a feat for which you qualify from among these feat Trees: Acrobat Tree, Dash Tree, Intuition Tree, Karate Tree, Predator Tree, or Wrestler Tree.
Level 11 Monk Hero Tier Signature Ability: Quivering Palm (Su): You can set up vibrations within the body of another creature that can thereafter be fatal if you so desire. You can use this quivering palm attack once per day, and you must announce your intent before making the attack roll. Creatures immune to critical hits cannot be affected. Otherwise, if you strike successfully and the target takes damage from the blow, the quivering palm attack succeeds. Thereafter, you can try to slay the victim at any later time, as long as the attempt is made within a number of days equal to your character level. To make such an attempt, you merely will the target to die (a free action), and unless the target makes a Fortitude saving throw (DC 10 + 1/2 your character level + your odd (column B) Wisdom modifier), it dies. If the saving throw is successful, the target is no longer in danger from that particular quivering palm attack, but it may still be affected by another one at a later time. You can have no more than one quivering palm in effect at one time. If you use a quivering palm while another is still in effect, the previous effect is negated.
Level 12 Monk Hero Tier Interaction Ability (pick one):
- Master of Summer (Su): When you talk to animals, in any language you know, the animals understand exactly what you mean. You do not gain any special ability to understand them, but you do gain a general idea of their emotional state.
- Master of Winter: You feel nature herself recoil from undeath. You can sense constructs, golems, and the undead as if you had blindsense with a range of 60 ft, and through any physical barrier.
Level 13 Monk Hero Tier Combat Ability (pick one):
- Crane Style (Ex): When an enemy confirms a critical hit in melee against you, you may take a bonus attack of opportunity against it before it rolls damage. If this attack renders it unable to attack you, its confirmed critical hit fails. This ability only works when wearing no armor or shield.
- Monkey Style (Ex): Whenever you make a full attack, you may take two five-foot steps instead of one so long as you are wearing no armor or shield.
Level 14 Monk Hero Tier Exploration Ability (pick one):
- Master of the South Wind (Su) The wind lifts you up. You gain five bonus ranks to place into your Jump skill; if this would bring you above the max allowed, you can distribute the extra ranks to Tumble, Climb, Escape Artist, and Fly skills. When wearing no armor or shield, you also gain your even (column B) Wisdom modifier as an additional bonus to Jump and Fly checks, and you treat every Jump you make as if you have a running start.
- Master of the North Wind (Sp) The winds obey you. As a spell-like ability, you can cast Control Weather once per day.
Level 15 Monk Hero Tier Choice: Select a Monk Hero, Adventurer, or Tyro Tier Interaction, Combat, or Exploration ability that you have not yet chosen, or choose a feat for which you qualify from among these feat Trees: Acrobat Tree, Dash Tree, Intuition Tree, Karate Tree, Predator Tree, or Wrestler Tree.
Level 16 Monk Legend Tier Signature Ability: Refined Body (Su): You are immune to all diseases, including supernatural and magical diseases. You are immune to poisons of all kinds. You no longer take penalties to your ability scores for aging and cannot be magically aged. Any such penalties that you has already taken, however, remain in place. Age bonuses still accrue, and you still die of old age when your time is up. Finally, you gain fast healing 1.
Level 17 Monk Legend Tier Interaction Ability (pick one):
- Grand Master of the Sun (Sp): You make a foe into a friend with a single show of mercy. As an immediate action, when you place a hand on a helpless foe, or when one of your melee attacks would reduce a foe to 0 or fewer hit points, you can instead inspire the foe to surrender. When the target surrenders, it is charmed and subservient, as if you had cast charm monster with a caster level equal to your monk level. The target does not get a saving throw against this effect. This charm lasts until its duration expires, but it ends early if you attack the charmed creature (this would also be a chaotic action), if you dismiss the charm, or if you use it on another creature. You can only have one creature charmed with this power at a time. This is a mind-affecting charm effect.
- Grand Master of the Moon (Su): You gain ten bonus ranks to place into your Stealth skill; if this would bring you above the max allowed, you can distribute the extra ranks to other Dexterity-based skills. You instinctively know when any creature beats your stealth check or successfully spots or searches for you; you also sense when you are the subject of a scrying attempt or when you are scanned with a divination spell. When wearing no armor or shield, you gain your even (column B) Wisdom modifier as an additional bonus to Stealth checks.
Level 18 Monk Legend Tier Combat Ability (pick one):
- Panther Style (Ex): You may make a full attack at the end of a charge.
- Tiger Style (Ex): When you attack with monk weapons, double your damage.
Level 19 Monk Legend Tier Exploration Ability (pick one):
- Grand Master of Flowers (Su): When wearing no armor or shield, you can pass from plant to plant, as if using the Tree Stride spell, at will, with any plant of any size, not just with Trees. Moving from one Tree to another of the same kind has the range given in the spell; aside from those, moving from any plant to any other plant has a range of 500 feet, and the plant can be as small as a blade of grass. Per the spell, each transport is a full-round action. You cannot stride through plant creatures. In addition to this ability, when wearing no armor or shield, difficult terrain caused by natural or magical plant growth never hinders you or slows you down
- Grand Master of Clouds (Su): When wearing no armor or shield, you can walk on the wind, as if using the Air Walk spell, as a constant supernatural ability that requires no activation. As a swift action, you can take the shape of a cloud, as per the Gaseous Form spell, with a fly speed equal to your base speed; you may dismiss the form as a free action.
Level 20 Monk Legend Tier Choice: Select a Monk Legend, Hero, Adventurer, or Tyro Tier Interaction, Combat, or Exploration ability that you have not yet chosen, or choose a feat for which you qualify from among these feat Trees: Acrobat Tree, Dash Tree, Intuition Tree, Karate Tree, Predator Tree, or Wrestler Tree.